Saturday 20 November 2010

Bad shoe omen

Today I lost one of my work-shoes ON my way to work. I was searching for a lipliner in the bottomless pit of my handbag, and this resulted in me absent-mindedly tossing one of my chelsea boots aside and only remembering once I was at work.
Luckily I had the shoes that I was wearing, a pair of black, lace-up, Victorian style ankle-boots that I got from Portobello market a few years ago, and they were probably about twenty years old then and falling apart BUT they were black and if my managers didn't peer too closely, they wouldn't notice that I looked like the Oliver Twist from the ankles down.

 After work I was in Old Street, running to the Boyfriend's office to collect the paperwork for our new flat from him so's that I could get it to the Estate Agents before six, and while skipping across a busy main road, as I reached the other side I suddenly heard a crack and the fucking heel and sole of the boot had snapped off and was flapping behind me uselessly.
 I hear a Northern accented voice behind me go,
 "Aw that's shit" and turned to see an trendy East-End guy shaking his head at my poor shoe.
 "You're probably used to walking home bare-foot anyway."he said over his shoulder as he went down the stairs of the underground.
 "Bloody cheek! Do I look like that kind of girl!" I looked down at my trampy Victorian boots and thought
 yes. 
 I hobbled down the street as nochalantly as I could, trying to catch people's eyes as they gazed down and noticed my boot, shrugging my shoulders and smiling as if to say "I know, how embarrassing is this?' trying to find a shop that sold SuperGlue or something.
 Five minutes later I was in a Sainsbury's and the security guard was tying a bit of old, manky, white plastic cord he's found in the stock room around my boot to keep the sole from coming off in front of a queue of customers waiting to pay. I couldn't bend down myself because my skirt was too tight.

 The worst part was having to take the tube home to Fulham. It was fine while I was in East.
Nobody really raises an eyebrow at a white piece of plastic around a boot in an area where people wear gameboys as necklaces and the boys wear leggings.
 As soon as I got to zone 2, people started whispering about it I swear.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment